Thursday, October 15, 2009

An Ode to Mac and Cheese

I sit across the table staring at my kids. Before them a bowl filled with gooey, orange cheesy, deliciousness. *sigh* mac and cheese. Then I look down at my bowel of steamed vegetables. I am not a bad mom. Mostly my children eat whatever I make for the whole family but sometimes they get delicious treats that I don't give myself. Treats like, once again, *sigh* mac and cheese. E is devouring his bowl. Each bite he puts in his mouth he makes noises like its the best thing he has ever tasted. (He is taunting me since I took away his cars I just know it!) Sienna is literally licking the bowl. Cheese is dribbling down her chin. I stab at a giant floret of broccoli. With disgust I put it in my mouth. While I chew slowly I glare at them. Oh mac and cheese! Why must it be so very fattening. What happened to the days when I would eat bowls upon bowls of you and not feel guilty? Oh yes that's right. They went away the day I had those two little mac and cheese eating machines that sit across from me. Is there no justice? Must I live day in and day out lusting after pasta and cheese? I suppose I do. I suppose I will just eat these vegetables. I shout "Look a spider!" While both children look I scoop a giant forkful of their meal into my mouth. I mean I can't totally deprive myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment